22 Quotes on Self-Discovery to Help You Find Who You Really Are and What You Want Out of Life.
I don’t know who originally said this quote “Finding out who you are is the first step. Accepting who you are can be the hard part. Enhancing who you are is the fun part.” but it’s very fitting for this blog.
Although I would add that the first step can also be tricky. I say this because most of us are being other people’s versions of us. We do certain things, act in certain ways because that is what has always been expected of us. And we may have been doing this for so long that we actually believe on some level that that is who we are.
But if you feel like something is off or you don’t feel happy or satisfied with life it could well be that it’s because you are not living authentically. Not being your real self. Not being who you really are.
If there are very dominant people around you telling you who you should be it can be hard to even hear your own voice telling you this is not who you are. Which is probably why some people go off travelling to find themselves or others move away from ‘home’, move to different towns, countries or even continents to give themselves the freedom to find themselves and become who they truly are.
I’m not suggesting that everyone ups and leaves, but it’s just good to bear in mind that others around you may not make it easy for you to discover who you are and what you want in life.
Don’t be afraid to discover who you are, only then can you accept who you are. Now you get to be the best version of you!
Here are some of my favourite quotes to inspire you to go out there and discover who you are! Enjoy!
1. The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
2. If you are not in the process of becoming the person you want to be, you are automatically engaged in becoming the person you don't want to be. – Dale Carnegie
3. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again. - F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. – Aristotle
5. Recognising that you are not where you want to be is a starting point to begin changing your life. - Deborah Day
6. Follow what you are genuinely passionate about and let that guide you to your destination. – Diane Sawyer
7. Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else. – Les Brown
8. Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as being able to remake ourselves. – Mahatma Gandhi
9. Follow your instincts, be curious, dream big, love what you do, love learning, keep an open heart, and a strong spirit, have fun. – Unknown
10. Biggest obstacle I ever faced was my own limited perception of myself. – RuPaul
11. What would your most courageous self say to you about your current actions, goals, relationships, and life? – Brendon Burchard
12. Not ‘til we are lost... do we begin to find ourselves. - Henry David Thoreau
13. There is only one cause of unhappiness: the false beliefs you have in your head, beliefs so widespread, so commonly held, that it never occurs to you to question them. - Anthony de Mello
14. Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don't belong. – Mandy Hale
15. The thing that is really hard and really amazing is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself. - Anna Quindlen
16. Instead of trying to make life perfect, give yourself the freedom to make it an adventure, and go ever upward. – Drew Houston
17. Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. Everything else is secondary. -Steve Jobs
18. If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. -Thomas Edison
19. No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change. - Barbara de Angelis
20. You are in control of your life. Don't ever forget that. You are what you are because of the conscious and subconscious choices you have made. - Barbara Hall
21. One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. – Henry Ford
22. Ten years from now, make sure you can say that you chose your life, you didn't settle for it. – Mandy Hale
Remember, you are better than you think you are xx