Updated: Jul 11
It’s fair to say that I spend a reasonable amount of my time with quotes… reading them, researching them, typing them, finding the right image to use with them…
I am often drawn to certain quotes and I won’t have a clue why, and then suddenly it will make sense to me why that particular quote has made itself known to me.
I see patterns emerging in my content, not because of a blog I’ve written but because I am drawn to certain quotes about certain subjects depending on what is going on in my life, or in my head at any given time.
So here I am going to collate some of the quotes that have had the biggest impact on me this year. I hope you enjoy some of my favourite quotes.
1. You often feel tired not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.- Alexander den Heijer
This one I think speaks to so many of us, one article I read claimed that 75% of all Americans hate their job. That’s ridiculous! Why are so many of us spending 8 hours or more each day doing something that makes us unhappy? This needs to change!
2. We are taught you must blame the father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers - but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's always your fault, because if you wanted to change, you're the one who has got to change. - Katherine Hepburn
Responsibility seems to be a dirty word to some people. Blaming everyone and anyone for anything and everything seems the way of life for some. Yet taking responsibility for your own life is the only thing that will give you the power to change it.
3. A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well and the body. – Benjamin Franklin
Education comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes, you don’t have to be going to school/college/university to learn. Whatever you are interested in, learn everything you can about it, read books, search the internet, take courses, learn and grow every day.
4. Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. – William Morris
I am going to have to say that this is probably my all-time favourite quote. It is so simple, so to the point, so clear and so concise, making it easy to declutter any space.
5. The past is in your head, the future is in your hands. – Unknown
I have the post I made for this as a background on my phone, to remind me to let go of the past and that I am in control of my future.
6. Alone time is when I distance myself from the voices of the world so I can hear my own. – Oprah Winfrey
I love the post I made for this and now whenever I hear the words alone time I see a lone paddleboarder, relaxed and in the moment, alone with her thoughts, I feel calmer just thinking about it.
7. There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Oh… this one hits home every time. How many of us a guilty of being our own obstacle, standing in our path, holding us back from the life we know we should have?
8. We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible. – Vince Lombardi
Vince Lombardi sums up the limiting beliefs that most of us have that keep us stuck where we are, unable to reach our goals.
9. The world will change their opinion about you the day after you do. – Les Brown
Some of the quotes I use I’ve know for a long time, this one was a completely new one for me, I watched a Les Brown motivation talk and spent more time pausing the video to write down so many things he said that were beyond inspirational.
10. Don’t expect to see a change if you don’t make one. – Unknown
A slightly more diplomatic take on Albert Einstein’s ‘Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” Both are so true and can hit you were it hurts. You gotta make a change if you to see one!
11. To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself. - Thich Nhat Hanh
When you have spent most of your life self-hating it takes a lot to start liking yourself let alone loving yourself, this quote is one I come back to time and again.
12. Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you thought you couldn't do. – Unknown
I have done so many things that once upon a time I would have said I could never do that… yet I still doubt myself and my capabilities… silly right. This quote reminds me how much I have overcome, and how strong I really am.
13. We all have two lives. The second one starts when we realise we only have one. – Confucius
I think I’m only just starting my second one now…
14. Sometimes the best thing you can do is not to think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best. – Unknown
Sometimes, when it all becomes overwhelming, and I don’t know what to do for the best, I turn to this quote.
15. Our thoughts and imagination are the only real limits to our possibilities. - Orison Swett Marden
This just reminds me that we are masters of our own destiny. We are in control. Our imagination creates our dreams and our thoughts and beliefs decide whether to make them a reality or to keep them as dreams.
16. Don’t let the ugly in others kill the beauty in you. - Unknown
I once had a horrible time with a boss who let her position go to her head, with constant putdowns, nasty tone, blatant bullying. I had moments of weakness where I wanted to retaliate, but I refused to let her ugliness bring me down to her level, I am proud to say I remained kind, honest and true to myself. Dealing with it through the proper channels. Oh… and just a side note, things came to a head, she left, I got her job! 😊 who said Karma isn’t real??
17. There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. - Sylvia Plath
I love the idea that a hot bubble bath can solve anything (along with a cup of tea)
18. The mind is like water. When it’s turbulent, it’s difficult to see. When it’s calm, everything becomes clear. – Buddha
The metaphoric words give you such a visual understanding of how the mind works. I love it. It’s like a calm mind… so clear.
19. In the process of letting go, you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself. -Deepak Chopra
Letting go can be painful in the short term, but the long term effects are so significant and so valuable that the short term discomfort is more than worth it.
20. Some days I amaze myself, other days I put the car keys in the fridge. – Unknown
This one just made me laugh so hard… a little bit too hard, it obviously resonated with me and whilst that may be slightly concerning, I got such a giggle from it quickly become a favourite.
21. The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it. -Thomas S Monson
A great reminder to learn from the past. Plan for the future. And live for today. Be where you are, live it, enjoy it, make everyday the best day ever.
22. How do you relax? Do you start with your mind, or do you start with nerves? You don't start with either. You always begin to relax with your muscles. – Dale Carnegie
I love this reminder to start by relaxing your body and then your nervous system and mind will follow.
23. Your day is coming, your time is near, your dreams are closer than you know. Keep hope. One day at a time, my friend. – Brendon Burchard
A simple, yet powerful message we all need from time to time to not give up, keep going towards your dreams.
Thank you for your support in 2022 and I hope you continue to enjoy my website and social media content throughout 2023. Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you enjoyed these quotes as much as I did, don't forget to pin them to your Pinterest boards for later :)
Drop in to my Etsy store Positive Life by Design for great printables to help you on your journey.
Don't forget to follow us on