Gratitude is known as being a fast track to getting the life you want – so why is it so hard to feel gratitude for the everyday things in life.
We go through our days not noticing some of the things that we are most grateful for, so we never express it. Other things we take for granted or just expect because that is just part of our normal life. We don’t take any notice of it, assuming it will always be there.
As the song says – ‘you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone’
So, what are some of the big things that are so normal we forget to be grateful for:
· Home – safe, warm, shelter from weather, comfortable, cozy
· Car – dependable, independence to go anywhere, safe, warm
· Job – regular income, colleagues, job satisfaction
· Pets – unconditional love, cuddles, comfort, funny, company
· Children – if you have been blessed with children, be thankful everyday
· Family – supportive, helpful, loving, caring
· Friends – supportive, helpful, caring, funny
Then there is the smaller things in life, the things we all share, we often miss them because we are rushing through life getting everything done. A little bit of mindfulness and you will not only enjoy them more you will feel a wave of gratitude wash over you:
· The smell of the rain
· The sun on your face
· The colours of the autumn leaves
· The sound of the waves gently crashing on the beach
· The grass soft beneath your feet, the sand between your toes
· The books you get to read
· The flavours of your food
· The smell of the coffee brewing
There are unlimited things for us to be grateful for, the lists above don’t even scratch the surface, but hopefully they are enough to get you thinking about what you are grateful for.
I like to run through a list before I go to bed at night and I always start off with my babies, both human and fur (I have two of each – and count my blessings for them every day) I always like to include at least three things I am grateful for that happened that day. It maybe my awesome dinner, or the fact that my daughter cooked for us, it may be an interaction at work, or a goal I hit, it maybe I am grateful for my comfy bed as I am so tired and looking forward to getting in it. There is always something to express gratitude for, sometimes we just have to remind ourselves of that.
You can write them down or say them out loud, either way or both together will help you get into an attitude of gratitude and as you do you will see your life start to change.
Below is a template you can use to write down 5 things you are grateful for, use it last thing at night and first thing in the morning for optimum results.
I hope you enjoyed this, don't forget to Save it to your Pinterest boards for later :)
Don't forget to follow us on